Better Kit Pics

 

A funny thing happens when you’re a cat parent, Charlotte...

You find yourself snapping tons of photos of your adorable kitty, as if you were the feline paparazzi.

Before you know it, your photo albums are FULL of pictures of your furry best friend.

There’s just one problem. Sometimes, your kitty’s cuteness can be hard to capture...

One minute they’re making the most adorable face, but by the time you take the picture — it’s just a kitty-shaped blur.

Well, not to worry...

Because after decades of coaxing furry patients to stay calm (and still) at my clinic…

I’ve learned a secret that NOW helps me take great photos of my kitties Miko and Topi.

And today, I’m going to share this secret with YOU.

Turns out, all you have to do is…

Think like a cat.

You see, in any given situation, your feline pal is concerned with 3 basic things:

Safety, rewards, and having fun.

So to help them stay relaxed and happy during your photo sessions…

You simply have to keep these 3 “feline priorities” in mind.
 

Feline Priority #1: “Is it safe?”

At my clinic, I had to make sure my patients were as calm and relaxed as possible.

That way, I could easily examine them. It also allowed them to have a good experience (which made future visits easier.)

My trick was always to speak soothingly to my feline patients — and avoid any “scary surprises” like loud noises or bright lights.

The same thing goes for taking your cat’s picture!

A camera flash or the clicking sound of a photo snap can be jarring to your cat’s sensitive eyes and ears.

So turn off the flash and silence the camera shutter “click.”

If you have to use a flash, just try not to aim it directly into your kitty’s eyes. And if your camera’s loud, try putting on some ambient music to help soothe your cat.

Then, when your “feline model” feels safe with you behind the camera…

It’ll be easier to take great photos every time :)

Feline Priority #2: “Is this interesting to me?”

As you know, your furry best friend is first and foremost curious and fun-loving.

So try to always make things fun and engaging for your cat. I used treats and toys to encourage kitties to stand in the right place during an exam…

And you can do the same during your photo shoots.

Simply use their treats and toys to encourage them into the poses you want.

Give them a little piece of a treat for staying in one spot, for striking the “right” pose, and just for being their adorable feline self.

This can make the experience fun for the both of you… and help you capture your furry pal’s best side every time.

Feline Priority #3: “Can I leave whenever I want?”

I’m sure you’ll agree, your cat likes to be in charge of their own schedule.

That’s why I always tried to complete my exams as quickly as possible, so my furry patients could go on with their day.

Likewise, you should try to keep your photoshoots short and sweet.

In my experience, even with treats and toys, you’ve got your cat’s full attention for about 10 minutes MAX.

So after you get a few pictures, give your feline supermodel a break for a few hours.

You can always come back after they’ve had a chance to nap, play, or zoom around the house for a while.

Honestly, after setting up your photo, entertaining your kitty, and then taking pictures...

You may want to take a quick nap too!
 


And that’s all there is to it.

If you keep your kitty’s “Feline Priorities” in mind while trying to get the perfect picture…

You can help them feel like a real superstar, and you’ll both have more fun, too!

And when you do capture a priceless picture of your cat...

Hit “reply” to this message to send me your photo-masterpiece!

I just might share your work in a future email :)

To you and your best friend,

Dr. Marty


Comments

Popular Posts